Clay Soil in Shade

Arlington Organic Garden Club: Organic Gardening Info: Clay Soil in Shade
By SH on Friday, June 07, 2002 - 12:30 pm:

I have an area in my sideyard that has growth next to a fence that extends 4 feet outward. Then the rest of the area between that growth and my home is shaded and clay. Nothing is growing there and the clay is cracking. Desparate to make it a more attractive area. Please provide suggestions. Thanks Stacy

By David on Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 09:11 am:

Hi Stacy,
The clay is cracking due to not enough water retention. You need to till into your soil 3-4 inches of compost and if it is a garden bed area 2-3 inches of native tree trimming or hard wood mulch on the surface. Plants for shade....well you have posted at the right time. June 15th 2002 our garden club is sponsoring "The Natural Urban Living Garden Show". Which has a PLANT SALE and alot of shade loving plants, that your clay and shade would love. Hope to see ya there. Good Luck.....

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration